Ketcher Fan CAD

Louis Luu

1 hour ago, Jim Kovar said:This would ensure perfect spacing between the cores and make for a more rigid assemblage.

Yeah, that rigidity especially being important since it looks like that whole assembly spins. Am I correct in interpreting that the output of the two opposing fans spins the entire assembly to drive the larger blade? A very whimsical approach to solving a problem   😂

21 minutes ago, Anthony Villanacci said:

Am I correct in interpreting that the output of the two opposing fans spins the entire assembly to drive the larger blade? A very whimsical approach...

That's the way I see it.

Whimsical, for sure!

I wonder how fast Ketcher intended the CF version to spin?

Screenshot_20230413-125720_Drive.thumb.jpg.5373caa6dd19abcaaaf1831471ae05bb.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar

8 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

Anthony, I think you are dead on.

I especially dig and totally agree with your spacer bracket revision.

Screenshot_20230413-112840_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2bb642bce2763564de6c09460077b649.jpg

This would ensure perfect spacing between the cores and make for a more rigid assemblage.

Agree!

Hi, Louis.

There'll need to be gaps.

image.thumb.png.3a20b222a2cd7d519f29a3c5e1574253.png.ac195d880ab87b6b19758e56f582a08c.png

A closed conductive loop around the magnetic circuit's cross section would be like a short circuit on a tranformer core.  Not good!

Yeah, yeah,...  the motor will be powered with DC.

No problem,...  right?

Wrong!  Rectified DC, which I assume you'll using, whether half-wave or full still has a major AC component (ripple).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Hi, Louis.

There'll need to be gaps.

image.thumb.png.3a20b222a2cd7d519f29a3c5e1574253.png.ac195d880ab87b6b19758e56f582a08c.png

A closed conductive loop around the magnetic circuit's cross section would be like a short circuit on a tranformer core.  Not good!

Yeah, yeah,...  the motor will be powered with DC.

No problem,...  right?

Wrong!  Rectified DC, which I assume you'll using, whether half-wave or full still has a major AC component (ripple).

Thank you for catching my mistakes....that is easy to fix.

40 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Well not nessessarily bad in all situations...

Of course I'm referring to shading coils which cause magnetic flux to sweep across the motor poles or to prevent the keeper (armature) of AC coil relays from chattering and prevent the possibility of relay drop-out.

Edited by Jim Kovar

10 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Gapped all the way to the core, i.e. separate pieces.

Corny & Cheesy | El Paso TX

Edited by Louis Luu

8 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

Gapped all the way to the core, i.e. separate pieces.

image.png.503fcb1a4a44b9f776683db04ddc678b.png.c68260898679213dfb6886b838627d64.png

I will make some plastic shims around the core and the brass piece.

My physics buddy said the iron core and endbell can be hollowed out and still induce a magnetic field.  I'm thinking of going down this route to reduce the cost and offset the weight on the pivot during rotation.

Jim...is this route possible?

I'm referring to this piece.  I plan on hollowing the entire piece out with enough thickness to maintain printing integrity.  Ignore the color, this thing will be fused together as one piece with the inside hollowed.

image.png.8864955b58edb50fc04ea60bcea77179.png

Edited by Louis Luu

Draft.  The wing span for the ceiling is 10 inches and the motor blade is 6 inches.  I still need to draw the stator and blade hub

image.thumb.png.ac9d0a51b35592ac896615b9a8591391.pngimage.thumb.png.aded9a0578cec5321f3e712a7acdb2a7.pngimage.thumb.png.510e3ffa9ed5bf0bb53a3dd6a73f87e9.png

Smoothed out the rotor.  Just need the brush holder and blade hub.  Then I will begin the process of hollowing out the core for printing.

image.thumb.png.0f26fe2e3e54974cce17777cf0237df7.png

On 4/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, Louis Luu said:

My physics buddy said the iron core and endbell can be hollowed out and still induce a magnetic field.  I'm thinking of going down this route to reduce the cost and offset the weight on the pivot during rotation.

Jim...is this route possible?

I'm referring to this piece.  I plan on hollowing the entire piece out with enough thickness to maintain printing integrity.  Ignore the color, this thing will be fused together as one piece with the inside hollowed.

image.png.8864955b58edb50fc04ea60bcea77179.png

The hollowing out of the core would be counterproductive and detrimental.

On 4/19/2023 at 8:03 AM, Jim Kovar said:

The hollowing out of the core would be counterproductive and detrimental.

Can you explain wise wizard?  I would appreciate it if you can help with the wiring diagram if doable.

Edited by Louis Luu