Rare D.H. Kulp Water Powered 16" FAN MOTOR (for Russ Huber)

Paul Michael

Kulp it appears may have personally designed fans after the move to Marietta. He kept the door open to ideas brought to him there.

Crescent99.v1.jpg

content (2).png

CrescentDeskFan97.png

I've been shaking the tree for a couple years now, trying:   a) to put Towle and Kulp together somehow (no sign yet of interaction, despite businesses a block distant from each other) since it would be so tidy for Towle to have moved to Lancaster under Kulp's imprimatur, then branched off on his own and contracted out to Williams;   b) discover precisely where Towle got his electrical training and precisely what did bring him to Lancaster.

I've got the beginnings of a history for him, but there's a gap from roughly 1892-'95, and those are crucial years...

And these excerpts have bothered me quite a while, since the Towle family moved to Lowell MA about 1880 (where the father remained,) from where George C. and his brother John W. ventured out (Boston), to where John W. returned (at the time of the excerpts as an electrician, before emigrating to UK) and to where George C. and family returned somewhat briefly at the time of the 1900 census. Another tidy linking up would have been if Towles were introduced to the Kulp fans in 1893 and George went to Lancaster to investigate...

I'll get to the George C. Towle history in a new thread, in order to concentrate here on David H. Kulp.....

image.jpeg.302632bf9810694b62422f2cb46b79fa.jpeg

image.jpeg.e69adc08224dcbff5b4c58e8c1de9b59.jpeg

Derby & Co., later joined by Charles F. Morse, were long-time electricians in Lowell MA, and when John W. Towle was an electrician back home in Lowell, possibly he worked there?

image.jpeg.64b320d3a78e1983d5c8d2b4b8af368a.jpeg

image.jpeg.64d9a20f871c34ac1e2461c91db46682.jpeg

image.jpeg.e15579710f4d77eb9ab135c0a2dd3585.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

No, unless I missed something you were trying to point out, I see no Towle in Lancaster as a good thing for 94.  That has Williams and Towle meeting at Joe's Lunch & Munch for coffee & donuts 94-95 with a fan motor design making a plan. Freeman's motor patent was filed June 4, 1895, but that doesn't mean William's didn't have the patent draft in his hands prior looking for a manufacturer. Speculation stuff, but it makes sense to me. Those directories are good stuff, thanks again.

• 1 month later...