Robbins and Myers feather vane.

Arjun Saini

32 minutes ago, Arjun Saini said:

He’s 2 years behind I was told

Better put your name down now before he's jammed up for 3. 

Sorry, didnt know about the backlog...

24 minutes ago, Roger Borg said:

Better put your name down now before he's jammed up for 3. 

Sorry, didnt know about the backlog...

How can I get in contact with him?

My "bet" is they cast that base in the last season of 12. No proof so far to validate. The Feather vane shared the market with the mechanical 1153 oscillator it appears 11 and 12.   The Feather vane was known as the Model 10.

IMG_4465.thumb.jpeg.f4429e3ff11a76fe188e8acf11cdb986.jpeg

pivot.v1.jpg

content (1).jpg

content (2).jpg

content.jpg

• Thanks 1

Where ever you got that I would scrounge the basement. Grandpa may have taken it apart and those parts are in a hill bros. can...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Grandpa may have taken it apart and those parts are in a Hill Bros. can...

High probability they could be in one of the 2. 

1_b72f72fe774b21836d3fb9d47486ef92.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

12 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

My "bet" is they cast that base in the last season of 12. No proof so far to validate. The Feather vane shared the market with the mechanical 1153 oscillator it appears 11 and 12.   The Feather vane was known as the Model 10.

IMG_4465.thumb.jpeg.f4429e3ff11a76fe188e8acf11cdb986.jpeg

pivot.v1.jpg

content (1).jpg

content (2).jpg

content.jpg

I need more! 

1 hour ago, Arjun Saini said:

I need more! 

Your right. The reconstruction of that fan would require skilled labor, patience, and thinning the wallet. Now if you were the skilled labor doing the restoration, it would be easier on the wallet. Good luck! 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, Russ Huber said:

Your right. The reconstruction of that fan would require skilled labor, patience, and thinning the wallet. Now if you were the skilled labor doing the restoration, it would be easier on the wallet. Good luck! 

Thx will need parts!

2 hours ago, Arjun Saini said:

Thx will need parts!

You missed my point, Arjun. When I mentioned skilled labor, I was referring to an individual who can reproduce your needed parts. If you could reproduce your own missing parts, it would save you chunky money over hiring someone who can restore (reproduce the parts) for you.

The bottom line is you can enjoy the fan as is in your collection, you can maybe hire someone skilled to restore the fan (reproduce missing parts) back to its near original state for hundreds of dollars, or you can sell it to an interested buyer with the restoration skill or deep pockets.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

You missed my point, Arjun. When I mentioned skilled labor, I was referring to an individual who can reproduce your needed parts. If you could reproduce your own missing parts, it would save you chunky money over hiring someone who can restore (reproduce the parts) for you.

The bottom line is you can enjoy the fan as is in your collection, you can maybe hire someone skilled to restore the fan (reproduce missing parts) back to its near original state for hundreds of dollars, or you can sell it to an interested buyer with the restoration skill or deep pockets.

Good luck!

I’ll have to see if someone can get me a casting 

38 minutes ago, Steven P Dempsey said:

Like I said B4 - - Contact our guy Dan in Vietnam.

Dan? Nguyen?

• 2 months later...

Anyone know about wiring this things? The first time this was powered up the owner had to hold the main headwire by hand to get it going. I want to disassemble the fan so I can fix the centrifugal start switch. Won’t get off the start winding.

Take your blade off the shaft. Unthread both of your oil cups. Hold your fan upside down firmly (don't drop it) resting the C-frame on a workbench. With your free hand spray WD-40 down into the bearings on both ends and then turn the shaft with your fingers of your free hand. This will let the WD-40 work its way into the bearing surfaces to break down the old, varnished oil on the surface of the shaft and bearing. Set the fan back up right on the bench, give it a while for the WD-40 to do its magic. Try firing it up without the blade on to see if it gains enough speed to lift of the centrifugal switch contacts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Take your blade off the shaft. Unthread both of your oil cups. Hold your fan upside down firmly (don't drop it) resting the C-frame on a workbench. With your free hand spray WD-40 down into the bearings on both ends and then turn the shaft with your fingers of your free hand. This will let the WD-40 work its way into the bearing surfaces to break down the old, varnished oil on the surface of the shaft and bearing. Set the fan back up right on the bench, give it a while for the WD-40 to do its magic. Try firing it up without the blade on to see if it gains enough speed to lift of the centrifugal switch contacts.

One problem is getting the blade off. 

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

Arjun, maybe it is best you get someone to help you hands on. You don't want to break anything. Be patient.

👍 I got the blade to turn a good amount but here’s the issue, I keep turning and turning and seems like I’m making no progress 

Arjun-I'd stop until someone who has taken the blade off one can help. It is THREADED onto a shaft . . .

Edited by Paul Michael
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Paul Michael said:

Arjun-I'd stop until someone who has taken the blade off one can help. It is THREADED onto a shaft . . .

It’s threaded! I’ll leave it alone 

Thanks Russ I don't have pics for Arjun. Arjun, as you see: The smaller shaft goes through to the back oscillator 'activator' mechanic, so likely, that is entirely missing  yours. 

• Like 1

If your blade spins CCW, which it does, what direction would the blade need to thread on to the shaft to stay tight on the shaft?

IMG_4439.thumb.jpeg.6b1cc3d4322a703222f59a97a817d15d.jpeg

CIMG4595.jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber

1 hour ago, Arjun Saini said:

👍 I got the blade to turn a good amount but here’s the issue, I keep turning and turning and seems like I’m making no progress 

So, with the rotor locked in back with a screwdriver so it can't turn( don't go near the windings with that screwdriver), and the blade spins, which direction when you're spinning the blade makes the blade come OFF the shaft? Spinning one direction should make the blade go TOWARD the motor housing, the other direction AWAY from the motor housing.