Robbins and Myers feather vane.

Arjun Saini

57 minutes ago, Mark Olson said:

This photo clearly depicts a right handed thread.

Ya.  Arjun is young and having trouble getting the blade to pass through all the threading. He claims the blade will spin on the threading to a certain point and then bind. He is letting it soak in solvent for now in hope of any possible internal thread corrosion to break down to release the blade.

• Like 1

Time and patience are your friend. After that soak period, try to continue turning, gently back and forth, after marking a reference point (ie with a grease crayon) to note if any slow progress is made past the initial 'stuck' point. But, first, let it soak a few days, re-hit with penetrant as necessary. PATIENCE and  careful gentle approach is your safest route. IF no change, then try after using an electric heat gun, but not a torch. Good luck!

Edited by Paul Michael

Just now, Russ Huber said:

Plan B. 

57913_W4.jpg

HAHAHA you posted that while I was giving advice ending with - electric heat, but, NOT A TORCH!!! 🤦🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, Arjun Saini said:

Also does anyone know that these fans were made with brass blades instead of steel.

What exactly do you mean by that? Every one I've seen has a cast brass hub, with brass wings. Are you wings steel!? If so, I'd presume that was also a late-model change. One of the experts "" will chime in, no doubt! (-;
But, don't worry about it. Just take your time.

1 hour ago, Paul Michael said:

What exactly do you mean by that? Every one I've seen has a cast brass hub, with brass wings. Are you wings steel!? If so, I'd presume that was also a late-model change. One of the experts "" will chime in, no doubt! (-;
But, don't worry about it. Just take your time.

It’s a 1910 with steel wings but brass plated 

Edited by Arjun Saini

5 hours ago, Arjun Saini said:

It’s a 1910 with steel wings but brass plated 

That makes no sense as all R&M fans I know of have brass wings until into the 1920s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Stephens said:

That makes no sense as all R&M fans I know of have brass wings until into the 1920s.

Well, as that cast hub is rather 'unique,'—art would have had to be re-winged. So unlikely, no?

On 7/6/2023 at 1:29 PM, Jim Kovar said:

That's the early feathervane with the lollipop switch and flat base. Arjun has the feather with the later switch and the more rounded base.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Whitfield said:

That's the early feathervane with the lollipop switch and flat base. Arjun has the feather with the later switch and the more rounded base.

Confused, as Russ already clarified this point on July 8th . . . the current 'question' is why the blade wings are brass-plated STEEL! 
??? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Paul Michael

2 hours ago, Paul Michael said:

Confused, as Russ already clarified this point on July 8th . . . the current 'question' is why the blade wings are brass-plated STEEL! 
??? 🤷🏽‍♂️

I scanned through the threads (didn't see all the pages earlier). But I don't see where anyone mentions the first feathervane has a lollipop switch in the base. Did I miss something? 

CIMG5188.thumb.JPG.0d862079c92ddaa8f90979d5e24bca02.JPGFrom my early 12" feathervane, the switch is just like or very similar to the lollipop and some of the first of the Westinghouse gearback oscillators.   First switch pictured is from my lollipop, the other photos are my feathervane switch.

CIMG4596.JPG

CIMG4597.JPG

CIMG4627.JPG

CIMG4624.JPG

Edited by Steve Stephens
add better photo

10 minutes ago, Steve Cunningham said:

Russ, we always assumed the flatter base predated the taller base. But, the 1912 illustration shows the flatter base.

Can't trust the 12 feathervane images to be current for that year. We do know the list 14 stationery and list 11 oscillator and their base casting were to follow the feathervane.  

4 minutes ago, Alex Koh said:

Did you try sticking a magnet to it?

If I had one. The blades have rust. That’s what made me tell