29646 emerson restoration

James Gaspard

I want to ask how you guys strip the cage on these fans? Is it stripped or are you sand blasting or sanding them? 

1 minute ago, James Gaspard said:

Is it stripped or are you sand blasting or sanding them? 

Yes

You might want to consider reading old posts to learn restoration. Much of what you’re asking has been covered many times before. 

The search tool is a lovely function and will reward you with knowledge. 

16 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

You might want to consider reading old posts to learn restoration. Much of what you’re asking has been covered many times before. 

The search tool is a lovely function and will reward you with knowledge. 

I did try searching first and again after reading your response but after searching for over an hour I found many refinished steel cages but no one showing or describing their process? That's why I thought asking may be the best directions? I can't be the only guy starting out with a rusty steel cage needing a total refin?

• Like 1

Hi James,

Take your badge off and either sandblast, strip or sand the paint off.  Stripping or  sandblasting is the easiest. Lightly sand everything with fine paper after all the paint is off. For painting, rattle can of satin or gloss black or powder coat the cage.  Put your badge back on after everything is dry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Peshoff said:

Hi James,

Take your badge off and either sandblast, strip or sand the paint off.  Stripping or  sandblasting is the easiest. Lightly sand everything with fine paper after all the paint is off. For painting, rattle can of satin or gloss black or powder coat the cage.  Put your badge back on after everything is dry.

Thanks Bob, I just had to ask before attempting this since I haven't found any threads explaining how the cage was prepped for refinishing? 

My tip to search was a general statement, not specifically aimed at your badge removal. Our old forum has tons of restoration information and is in the process of being moved to this forum, but you will need to be a member to see that info. 

How can I get to or find "our old forum" to search?

Unless you have an old logon for the old forum you won’t be able to search, and once it’s moved to this forum it will be for members only. In other words you’ll have to pay your dues and join the organization to see it.  

Hi Lane, I thought that might be the case? While attempting any search, I'm not finding the subject in good time? Most every fan forum is a membership requirement while clock and watch forums are most often free? Vintage guitar forums same thing, free. With inheriting this single fan, it would be impossible to justify any yearly membership fees. It would even be worse to find folks not having time to give the answers? This forum is difficult to navigate while searching and I don't see anyway to edit my post if there is a mistake? While searching, I read a post while searching (say post 23) and when I select  back it sends me back to the beginning to post #1. If I start a serch titled 29646 Emerson restorations it comes back with many different fans that don't match what I searched for?? There has to be an easier way that I'm just not seeing?

16 hours ago, James Gaspard said:

Hi Lane, I thought that might be the case? While attempting any search, I'm not finding the subject in good time? Most every fan forum is a membership requirement while clock and watch forums are most often free? Vintage guitar forums same thing, free. With inheriting this single fan, it would be impossible to justify any yearly membership fees. It would even be worse to find folks not having time to give the answers? This forum is difficult to navigate while searching and I don't see anyway to edit my post if there is a mistake? While searching, I read a post while searching (say post 23) and when I select  back it sends me back to the beginning to post #1. If I start a serch titled 29646 Emerson restorations it comes back with many different fans that don't match what I searched for?? There has to be an easier way that I'm just not seeing?

The membership dues pays for the forum and the magazine we send out. What exactly do you need to know about restoring your fan?

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:44 PM, Steve Sherwood said:

The membership dues pays for the forum and the magazine we send out. What exactly do you need to know about restoring your fan?

I'm sorry for the delay, my wife is having kemo infusions and I've had no free time to explore the fan. I do thank you for responding since I'm having real difficulty with searching past posts?? I can't understand how searching for "EMERSON 29646" would display Juniors' 8", 16" and practically anything else falling under the Emerson name? I'm not an electrical professional but I do have several digital multi meters and I need to know how to check the 4 wires on the stator to find which is high, med., & low to know which to connect to the speed switch? Not sure where to touch the black probe and red probe to with settings on ohms? I've searched a lot here but didn't find anyone saying where to place the probes to determine Hi,M,low? I did have a suggestion that I should go on line to learn how to operate a multi meter? That went against the "how can we help you" forum greet that says everyone begins at the beginning?? Do you think it may be better for me to investigate "facebook" for Emerson 29646 restoration info? I've not had much luck asking questions on facebook since many don't go there every day, and some like myself may not be back ib 30 days? I mostly want to diagnose the condition of the stator and learn how to check it for resistance (hi.med,low) to connect it to the speed switch to know if this fan will run/oscillate with the new head wire?

James,

The dues may seem steep, but the information is invaluable.  It has been to me.

I had the same questions when I started, and still have loads of questions - mainly so I don’t wreck anything trying to wing it.   

Bob said it well.  Gently pry the tabs on the badge just enough to remove it.   Take care as it’s thin aluminum.  The less it’s bent to get it off the better.  As for me I use the orange gelatinous paint remover.  Apply a thick coating, cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit over night.  Wash or wipe off the goo and see where you stand on remaining paint.  If there’s a bunch I repeat the process.  If it’s just small patches I sand the whole thing, normally with 600 grit.  I don’t chance using a bench grinder with a wire wheel.  I’d rather not join the cadre of folks who’ve had a cage fly and get bent up (or worse).  

It’s a process but the paint will come off.   When done to your satisfaction prime and paint with the color of your choice.   You will find that there are folks here who prefer their fans to be as close to original as possible - that includes paint color/type, new old-style cloth covered wires for both head wires and power wire.  Others like to spruce them up with different paint colors and the like.   

Personally I like to experiment with different colors.   If I want a chrome cage I’ll use chrome paint rather than spending the $$$ on having the cage plated.  Same goes for the blade.   There is brass paint out there that comes close as well.    

I’m sure you have more questions.   Just post them up, however I too encourage you to join, even if it’s a one-time thing for you.  The work to gather, organize and publish info is a time consuming chore that is done by the members.   This is a new website and trying to reformat and export to the new platform is a daunting task.   Your support is appreciated   

An Emerson 29646 should have only 3 wires coming from the stator. 

• Like 1

Not sure where everything is going with your post.  You really should know how to take ohm readings on a multimeter.  It isn't that  difficult.  And it makes it possible for us to converse with you.  This is a diagram that I made for determining the correct hookup.

emerson stator to spd cntrl hookup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Step 1. shows "common being highest", is common the wire in the ac wires or is it the wire coming from the coil center top on speed switch? With only 3 wires from the stator, I was guessing the common must be the frame of the fan??

5 hours ago, James Gaspard said:

Step 1. shows "common being highest", is common the wire in the ac wires or is it the wire coming from the coil center top on speed switch? With only 3 wires from the stator, I was guessing the common must be the frame of the fan??

No. You have misinterpreted Mr. Newcity's instructions.

There are two windings in the motor, a start winding and a run winding. If the ends of each of those two windings came out of the motor you would have four wires. One end of each winding is connected together, making only three wires. That connected pair is the common wire, as it is common to both windings.

There should be no continuity from any wire or winding to the frame of the fan. If you get a reading between the frame and any wire, the motor is shorted. split_phase.thumb.jpg.0d9b0a9b00d86be88ef9eaeea441cfcd.jpg

Screenshot2024-04-03at04-13-10NewbieEmerson29646RestorationQuestions.thumb.png.d9087902e34731384c5d9bdae22f448f.png

This would be where to keep this thread.

To test motors and wiring you need an ohm meter. The cheap Hong Kong tool outlet store has a very inexpensive volt-ohm meter that will work for your purposes, it is so inexpensive that they gave them away as door prizes once upon a time.

vom.thumb.jpg.b5ca1843b90eb712436d2198f7fb0c9b.jpg

Get one of these and have a look at the chinglish instructions that come with it. Try it out on different stuff, get a feel for what it does!

• Like 1

With all due respect, asking members how to restore a fan is a little like asking a carpenter how to build a house. The questions you’re asking about making electrical  measurements is like asking the carpenter how to use a hammer. 

It’s impossible within a reasonable time or a few messages to teach you all of the basic electrical and mechanical skills necessary to restore a fan. It’s far more involved than many expect it to be. And if some basic skills are lacking, the end result is often a fan that’s been damaged beyond repair. 

It took me years as a member reading old posts to learn these skills, so to attempt to grasp all of the necessary nuances to repair one fan will take a while and there’s some stuff you’re going to have to learn on your own. Getting testy and losing patience with the members trying to help you won’t get you very far. 

Attending a fan meet could answer a lot of questions.  Membership isn’t required.  As long as I have been restoring fans, I still learn something new at every meet I attend.  I suggest you look into this.

I'm a watch maker and I work/restore 1930s electric clocks. I don't want someone to share something that they had to pay to learn, but I'm getting mixed responses about this 29646 fan? I do belong to many forums for watches and clocks and I also collect vintage guitars. If someone asks a question that I know about or I own what they're asking about, I'll always take the time to give my best. "Getting testy and losing patience with the members trying to help you won’t get you very far. " while reviewing my posts, I just can't see where I crossed this line? I know some folks "bow up" on the internet, but I don't think this was something I did?? I'm just new and came up with this wonderful fan that I don't want to mess up. Please allow me to start over with my quest to repair and restore this 1930 Emerson 29646 that my brother left me? I really hope to be a friend to all? 

Hi James, let’s talk in your terms… if I went on a watchmaking forum and said I found an old watch that had been neglected for years with a tarnished case and gunked up mechanism, and possible broken parts, and asked how to restore it, I think my replies there would be very similar. 
1) Learn the basic skills on your own that are needed in order to restore it before posting “How do I restore a watch” 

2) Then I’d be told to learn what I could by reading relative posts about disassembly, troubleshooting, cleaning, etc  

3) If I am stumped or run into things I can’t figure out AFTER doing #1 and #2 on my own, then yes, please post the questions.  

No one here is being mean to you or ignoring you, but if you don’t even have or know how to use a multimeter, there’s not a lot we can do to help you and it tells us that you don’t have the most basic knowledge that will be needed in your journey.  This is an electromechanical device and as a result, we have to assume that you know basic electrical skills like using meters, soldering, etc. As you are finding out, these skills are necessary just to give us an indication of what might be wrong with it. 

Tom is right, you should try to go to a local meet where people will be happy to SHOW you how to get started. If you were in PA, I’d invite you to my shop to show you where to start. Maybe someone local would be willing to take you under their wing.  

Best succcess with your restoration

I do have several multimeters, I started this quest by asking an in law who worked with electric motors but he was confused by this being 3 speeds and only having 3 wires from the stator? I read here that I should replace head wires and ac cord if needed and test the speed switch a motor before removing them. I know this is a simple process for anyone that knows the common is in the 3 stator wires but a local professional was baffled when looking at this motor and switch? Folks do come to watch forums asking where to start because they've never done this before, and very rarely do they get told to take a class? Most come to forums to learn and develop skills. I see that I've gotten off with you, but I just don't know how or why? If I'm a disappointment Lane, please excuse me? I said in the beginning that I am "NEW" to antique fans and need to ask everything so as to not mess things up since this is a one time project for me. I not only want this 29646 fan to look wonderful but I also want it to work properly since I'm not keeping in the garage? I am very sorry that I'm so ignorant about these Emerson fans, but I am. I do have a basic knowledge of multimeter use but I was not alone in this confusion when you consider my in law didn't understand the 3 wires on a 3 speed motor either? He thought I should ask a forum where the common is since I need it for the black probe to test the resistance?? One of the first guys here wrote that not knowing about fans isn't a crime since most here started that way? Please accept my explanation as to how I got here and why I'm asking the questions, but doesn't it seem like I'm thinking of this project in the correct order? I'm not asking for anyone to repair this fan, but wanting to ask about how it's done before I do it?

On 4/3/2024 at 10:26 AM, Thomas Newcity said:

Attending a fan meet could answer a lot of questions.  Membership isn’t required.  As long as I have been restoring fans, I still learn something new at every meet I attend.  I suggest you look into this.

I believe a "fan meet" would be great and helpful, but I could only do that if it's in New Orleans or very near? If I had to travel with lodging to attend, I'd be better to give up and pay someone to test and repair the mechanism so that I could do the restorations to the finishes.

Apparently you’re taking my suggestions and explanation as an insult and I’m sorry you feel that way. Anyhow, best luck.